Have you heard of the sleep diet? It’s a new way to maintain a healthy lifestyle that helps you lose weight. See how you can apply it.
Currently, the global context has led to an increase in the use of mobile phones for health care . So applications related to fitness and healthy lifestyle such as foaming have grown. In this sense, the Noom Diet has positioned itself as a weight loss app with over 45 million followers.
But what makes the sleep diet so popular? Unlike other software and apps, it goes beyond a general eating plan and strict control of calories eaten. It includes a psychological component that helps change the way you think about and deal with weight loss.
The Noom Diet leads to healthy eating, increased regular exercise, stress management, and improved sleep hygiene. In short, change the lifestyle.
What is a sleep diet?
The Noom Diet is a digital weight loss program. It works as a personalized nutrition app that helps you develop a healthier lifestyle. The company was founded in 2008, but it was launched as an app in 2016 to download to your mobile phone or tablet.
Followers receive weekly challenges on nutrition, goal setting, developing healthy habits and stress management. The whole process is performed by a virtual team of specialists certified by the same company.
The Noom Diet provides tools to drive progress within the program, by logging your meals, exercise regimen, and changes in body weight . It also develops blood sugar and blood pressure.
The weight loss plan is based on cognitive behavioral therapy. However, despite the fact that many specialists believe that it is difficult to maintain this type of diet over time, others believe otherwise.
Scientific Reports reported that 78% of Noom users experienced weight loss for 9 months and 23% lost 10% of their initial weight. Self-control behaviors were critical to success.
In terms of costs, the app subscription costs around $150 for 6 months or $25 per month. Users can invest in custom restricted meal plans or fitness plans at a cost of $120 each.
How does the Noom Diet work?
Users complete a survey by creating their profile, which includes age, height, current weight and target weight. Questions about daily habits and health risks are answered.
With this information, an algorithm is run that calculates the calories needed to eat per day and the time it takes to reach the goal. For safety reasons, the minimum caloric intake is 1,200 per day for women and 1,400 calories per day for men.
The program also develops self-control behaviors that some experts publish. This involves recording and daily weighing.
The final part of the survey is about activity, nutrition, and cognitive behavioral therapy. Other areas you want to work on are identified, such as sleep, stress, and digestion.
Upon completion of the survey, a Noom Diet account is created and a subscription plan selected . The first 14 days are free and then you start a 6-month subscription.
Noom . method application
The Noom Method categorizes foods as red , green, and yellow . Red is high in calories and should be eaten less often. The program does not rate food as good or bad .
When users enter meals into the food records, the software analyzes the data and segments the products by color. The Noom Diet balances the three types as appropriate for the user’s goals.
see also: what can you eat on a gluten free diet
During the first months, the diet is low on calories to promote weight loss . Then comes the maintenance phase. For any direction, the user has access to certified specialists and group chat .
What foods can be included in the Noom diet?
The Noom Diet does not exclude any food. Even those labeled red can be eaten in moderation.
Let’s take a look at all of them:
- Green-label foods include vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, spinach, and sweet potatoes. Fruits such as oranges, apples, bananas, tomatoes, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains also fall into the group.
- Yellow label : Caution should be exercised when taking these medicines. They include lean proteins from chicken, turkey breast, salmon, low-fat dairy, eggs, and healthy fats like avocados, olives, legumes, and grains.
- Red-labeled foods – this group is not strictly prohibited, but should be consumed much less often. Includes processed meats, peanut butter, oil, sugar, spices, and foods high in fat (pizza, chips)
Pros and Cons of the Noom Diet
The Noom Diet may not be the best for everyone, but it has a number of advantages that other apps or programs of this type lack:
- Certified Health Professionals : Prior to joining the program, health professionals receive 4 weeks of training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- Focus on eating whole foods : With the Noom Diet, the focus is on eating more foods that provide dietary fiber and plenty of vitamins and minerals.
- Psychological aspect : through cognitive-behavioral therapy helps to identify feelings towards food.
- Long-term : The basis of the program is to change habits for long-term weight loss.
On the other hand, the Noom diet has some drawbacks that the user must consider:
- Cost: The value is more than what many people can spend on such a program.
- No face-to-face interaction: Chat is the way to contact your personal health advisor.
- Problematic color approach: For some people, color labeling of food can disrupt the habit.
Not a tool for everyone
The best diet is one that maintains balance, harmony, variety, quantity and quality in meals. In addition, it must adapt to a certain lifestyle .
The decision should be based on nutritional needs, budget, and goals. If you find that the Noom Diet gives you these tools , apply them.